Klein River Oak Smoked Stanford is sent to a magnificent farm near Villiersdorp where is it smoked for 18 hours using a cold smoking technique. Smoking is done the old fashioned way, controlling the draft and temperature by hand. Oak shavings from old wine barrels are used and this gives the cheese a unique flavour.
So unique in fact, that is was recently crowned best smoked cheese in the world at the World Cheese Awards. This month’s winter-warmer recipe is a delicious penne pasta with our Oak Smoked Stanford.
3 cups uncooked penne pasta
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups Alfredo pasta sauce
1 cup shredded Oak Smoked Stanford Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Spray your casserole pan with cooking spray. Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat tomatoes to boiling. Reduce heat to medium; cook uncovered 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated.
- In another saucepan, heat the Alfredo sauce over medium-low heat until warm. Stir in cheese until melted. Mix sauce, pasta and tomatoes. Pour into casserole.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes or until hot in center.
- Serve as is or with some more Oak Smoked Stanford drizzled over.