Klein River Danbo is a mild and slightly aromatic cheese with a smooth creamy texture that is loved by the whole family. This month’s recipe is a mouth-watering grilled bacon, Danbo and spinach frittata.
A great multipurpose dish for breakfast when you have guests around or for a lazy Sunday night-dinner.
- 1 packet diced bacon
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 9 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup full cream milk
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup green onion, 1 tablespoon reserved
- 1.5 cups Klein River Danbo, grated
- In an big cast iron skillet, cook the chopped bacon over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup chopped red onion and continue to cook until the bacon is crispy and the onion is tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl or with a whisk, combine 9 eggs, salt, pepper, and milk. Beat well. Set aside.
- Remove the bacon and onion to a paper-towel-lined plate and set aside. Spoon out most of the bacon grease, leaving about a tablespoon in the pan.
- Add the 4 cups spinach and 2 cups tomatoes to the pan. Cook and stir for about 1 minute, until the spinach starts to wilt, then add the minced garlic.
- When the garlic is just starting to brown and the spinach is wilted, spread the spinach out around the pan so it is evenly distributed. If you don’t have the rest of the ingredients ready to go yet, turn off the heat.
- Sprinkle the bacon and onion mixture evenly over the spinach.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup green onions over the bacon. Sprinkle the Danbo evenly on top.
- Pour the egg mixture on top. Cook uncovered over medium heat for about 6-7 minutes, until the edges start to set and brown
- Serve & Enjoy!